The best of the best?
Of course we’ve got them again as Varsity Letters presents its weekly B.C. high school football Performances of the Week.
Oh, and before we start, ranking performances like this is no easy task!
1. TYSON PHILPOT — Seaquam’s fluid wide receiver caught three touchdown passes and then added another when he took a kick-off return the distance in the Seahawks’ 34-21 win over Vancouver College.
2. MICHAEL CALVERT — The South Delta Sun Devils’ quarterback had a part in all five of hits teams touchdowns in a 35-26 win over Notre Dame. Calvert, who rushed 13 times for 82 yards, scored on two runs of six yards, and on another from one yard out. He also passed for scores of 18 and 15 yards, finishing 22-of-35 for 267 yards through the air.
3. SEBASTIEN REID — New Westminster’s big-play performer continued to make the No. 1-ranked Hyacks a threat to score from any part of the field. In a 56-7 win over Belmont, Reid caught touchdown passes of 70 and 52 yards, as well as taking a 54-yard punt return to the house.
4. DEVIN O’HEA — The Argyle Pipers receiver not only caught eight passes for 141 yards to put his team in scoring position all game long in his team’s 21-14 win over Ballenas, he also led the defensive effort with nine tackles.
5. BRICE PUMARES — Notre Dame’s hard-nosed running back carried 17 times for 118 yards and a pair of touchdowns, then added seven tackles and interception on defence in the Jugglers’ gutsy 35-26 loss to South Delta.
6. SAMWEL UKO — The Abbotsford running back carried for 155 yards and five touchdowns in the Panthers’ 54-2 win over the Langley Saints. He added a fifth major off a 52-yard kick-off return.
7. RYAN BAKER — The Windsor quarterback passed for 103 yards and a touchdown, rushed 104 yards and a touchdown and led the defence with 10 tackles as the Dukes blanked Holy Cross 38-0.
8. VON RICHARDSON — G.W. Graham’s running back carried 26 times for 224 yards and four touchdowns as the Grizzlies dumped Pitt Meadows 47-14.
9. GIDEONE KREMLER — The Mt. Douglas quarterback went 13-of-16 for 238 yards and passed for three touchdowns, leading the Rams to a 44-0 win over the Carson Graham Eagles.
10. JADEN SEVERY — The Terry Fox running back rushed for 158 yards and three touchdowns in a 52-8 win over Mission.
HONOURABLE MENTION (alphabetical order)
BLAISE BEAUCHEMIN — The Kelowna Owls running back carried 11 times for 172 yards and two touchdowns in a 39-6 win over the W.J. Mouat Hawks.
TYLER ECKERT — The St. Thomas More running back carried 15 times for 150 yards and scores of 23, three and 55 yards as the surging Knights topped Mt. Boucherie 49-0. Eckert also added four tackles on defence.
BRAEDEN HUTCHINSON — Lord Tweedsmuir’s Grade 11 running back rushed for touchdowns of 42 and 33 yards while also catching a 30-yard touchdown pass as the Panthers blanked Coquitlam’s Centennial Centaurs 63-0.
THOMAS HYETT — The Vernon quarterback went 10-of-12 for 247 yards and four touchdowns (45, 60,18, 52 yards) in a 50-0 win over South Kamloops.
ERIC POLAN — The Terry Fox defensive lineman made six tackles and showed off his versatility by returning an interception for a touchdown in his team’s 52-8 win over Mission.
If you’re reading this story or viewing these photographs on any other website other than one belonging to a university athletic department, they have been taken without appropriate permission. In these challenging times, true journalism will survive only through your dedicated support and loyalty. VarsityLetters.ca and all of its exclusive content has been created to serve B.C.’s high school and university sports community with hard work, integrity and respect. Feel free to drop us a line any time at email@example.com.